2.28.2012

you have GOT to be kidding me...

Last night was a little better for Gabby. We had a rough evening, she was very rambunctious.
.
SO. MUCH. ENERGY.
.
I'm used to coming home and doing my own thing, sitting, cooking, showering, whatever. With Gabby, none of that. I do things on her time. Poor Brodi.
.
Last night, I saw on Facebook that Mike posted the WOD, the Unknowable. Really? Unknowable? Surprises are awesome, just not at Crossfit Zeal.
.
Walking in this morning, I didn't even want to walk from the lobby into the box. I saw four people on rowers, heard a wall ball session, and plenty of noises. I waited. Upon entering the box, I find out that the "Unknowable" was a bucket of options. There was rowing, wall ball, toes to bar, walking lunges, turkish get ups, and about fifteen others maybe. As long as I don't get toes to bar, I might be ok. I hate toes to bar. We will choose an option out of the bucket, and do that for five straight minutes. Oh...joy.
.
Warm up consists of the lacrosse ball in my hamstring, and then my calf. Ouch. It helps though. And it better. Today we are doing low bar back squat and front squat.
.
Low bar back squat will be five sets.
10 @ 50% (43#)
8 @ 65% (58#)
6 @ 75% (68#)
4 @ 85% (78%)
4 @ 90% (83#)
.
Mike decided last week my max should be 90, and we would work from there. Some of the percentages didn't work out to be exact, so I went higher on the last couple. Low bar back squats aren't horrible. I can use my ass at the bottom to help propel me back up to the top. The last two sets are tough, but they get done.
.
The next part of the day is four rounds of front squats and bent over row.
.
Front squats: 5, 4, 3, 3 (53#, 63#, 68#, 73#)
Rest 45 seconds
BO row 4 each round
Rest 1 minute
.
This goes fine. Strength stuff I'm better with than conditioning stuff. At this point Mike is surprised that none of us want to choose our conditioning option. None of us want to know until we have to. After we finish our four rounds, he's basically chasing us around the box trying to get us to pick a slip of paper out of this bucket. We continue cleaning.
.
He eventually catches all of us and we must surrender. Kristen gets walking lunges, she was dreading rowing. Claire and Alex get rowing. Wait for it...wait for it.........I get...................
.
Toes to bar.
.
You have got to be kidding me. This was the worst thing that I could have chosen. Oh well...better to work at your weakness I suppose. So, five straight minutes of toes to bar it is. Mike reminds me, "only toes to bar counts". Thanks, Mike.
.
Five minutes starts, and I get working. After about seven, my toes don't want to touch the bar. I believe after three failed attempts, I get down and re-chalk my hands. Mike comes over and reminds me that both feet have to hit the bar for it to count.
.
Shit.
.
Back to it. I had to discount some that I had done because my stupid left foot didn't want to touch. Let me put it out there for all your crossfitters. First...I haven't mastered kipping. Secondly, Mike tells me not to swing so much when I do toes to bar. So I'm really working with dead weight here. Halfway through, and I've done fifteen. I'm determined at that point to get thirty. I keep counting. One here, one there. Then my toes don't hit the bar. Sheesh.
.
With four seconds left on the clock, I'm at thirty. I squeeze out thirty one...barely! But sweet!!!!!
.
Today was tough. Today was a little about overcoming my brain a little bit. I hate to not do well, but in this class, I'm at the bottom of the pack. Everything I'm doing might sound awesome, but it only gets better, and stronger, and faster. You should hear some of the things this crossfit family is doing. These people are amazing. I'm glad to be a part of it.
.
Now I'm on the couch with Gabby, I've taken her for a walk which has helped a little, and she has a chew toy she's destroying. Luckily tonight will be like last night, and I'll get the rest I need to go right back in the morning. Mike will have a 7.15 in the morning, and I'll be there with bells on. Well technically, sweatpants and no makeup, but you get my drift.

No comments:

Post a Comment