2.08.2012

"Nate"

Welcome back...

The WOD today was a workout in memory of a fallen solider. If that's not enough to motivate you, you're hopeless. Tonight's workout included a set of six pull ups and six dips, four handstand push ups, and eight kettlebell swings. AMRAP for twenty minutes. Kettlebell swings are the devil. Not because they are necessarily difficult, but because they make me awkward. I'm clumsy, I get it, but if something is shown to me, I can usually pick it up. KB swings don't work with my body somehow. Needless to say, I laughed when I found out they were a part of my first workout back.

Mike gave me the option of quitting at ten minutes. Lucky me. However...I promised myself...I won't quit when I'm tired...I'll quit when I'm done. So twenty minutes it was. I got through eight rotations, and then did six pull ups and six dips. When the timer went off, I just laid on the floor. Other people did more than me. I can accept that. I'm just coming back in. The point is...I quit when I was done.

My legs are shaky, my arms are heavy, my heart pounds. I love this. It takes a lot to get me back, but once I'm back, I remember how damn much I've missed it.

During the class, Mike walks around and is a motivator. He knows everyone by name. He pushes everyone when they need it. It's incredible. We are all there to work. Sometimes you have those moments when you're just inspired. Whether it be at a fundraiser, or while watching a show, or while at a sporting event when someone gets injured and people clap as he's taken off the field, you're inspired. To have that many like minded people together reaching for a common goal or appreciate for a common thread, it's inspiring. That's what happened to me tonight.

CrossFit isn't just a workout, it's a community. It's a family of people getting together willing to push themselves to failure, and being ok with that failure. That failure means your body is working for every last push up, every last KB swing, kicking your feet to get up on that pull up bar, that failure is the biggest success you'll have. Tonight my body failed. I dropped myself on my head doing handstand push ups. The kettle bell almost took me off my feet. I had to hang from the pull up bar for about thirty seconds in between a couple of reps. Ouch.

I sit here on my couch, after all this, and my body is tired. My body is tight. But I feel better than when I rolled out of bed this morning. I've accomplished the first step.

Now, this motivation will soon turn into words my mother shouldn't hear me say when I wake up tomorrow morning and realize I've told Mike I would see him at seven a.m. I will curse, and I will walk awkwardly, and I will cringe when I get up from my chair at the office, but my body will be getting better, and stronger.

Dedicating my sense of accomplishment and success tonight to Chief Petty Officer Nate Hardy, who was killed Sunday, February 4th during combat operations in Iraq. May his family be comforted knowing the thousands of people who trained in his memory tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment