2.15.2012

crossfit is my valentine...

Yesterday, it was really hard to get out of bed. That's all the whining I'll do for today.

The box was not decorated for Valentine's day, nor was there anything red or pink in the box. The exception was my pink shoes, pink socks, and pink sweatpants, not planned. I love pink. I wear pink all the time. By the end of the workout, the list of things pink expanded to my back from doing low bar back squats, and my hands from doing pull ups. Not to mention my face from nearly collapsing.

Workout started with rolling everything out. This is slightly enjoyable, until I roll my IT bands...ouch! Starting with push press to test technique wasn't so bad. The thirty three pound bar felt alright. Our first task was to take ten minutes to work up to our press max. No push press here, no legs, no dipping involved, no help. Just arms. Ha...right. I did work up to a fifty three pound max. Tried to go higher, got stuck right above my forehead. Fifty three pounds? Pathetic. I blame Mike. I don't know why, but between his perfectly sculpted hair (what did you think I was going to say?), and his judgy little comments, I blame him. I think he got some hair product in my eye.

Next was low bar back squats. Finally, something I feel good at. The plan was this:

10 @ 50%
8 @ 65%
8 @ 70%
6 @ 80%
6 @ 85%

Now...I say that was the plan because Mike had to make sure I could do the bar first. Yes, a thirty three pound bar. No big deal. However, my hips are tight. He's watching my form, and makes me warm up with a few more rounds with the bar so I can sit lower, where I'm supposed to be. We figured out that my max should be ninety. So I did a number of squats, not following the scale very well, but ended up with seventy three pounds which I did two sets of six with. Not awful, especially considering this isn't your normal person gym squat, this is a low squat, the kind that inexperienced trainers will be scared to have you try. Yes, I'm that good. Or Mike is that good...whatever.

The workout for the day sounded simple.

1 db ground to overhead, 1 pull up
2 db ground to overhead, 2 pull up
3 db ground to overhead, 3 pull up...and the pattern continues for eight minutes.

Sounds simple yes? I knew better. I went to grab dumb bells, because if you didn't know, that's what db stands for. I grabbed fifteens. The conversation that follows...

MK: "What did you grab?"
BC: "What should I grab?"
MK: "What did you grab?"
BC: "I grabbed fifteens."
MK: "That's ok for today."

You see what faith he has in me. *insert winkie face here*

So we get started. I start out using only the green band for resistance, which in itself is pathetic. One db to overhead with my fifteens, and one pull up. Fine. Two db to overhead with my fifteens, two pull ups. This continues with the green band until round five, when I have to add the blue band. Eight rounds I go, and barely. I bet I make some funny faces when I do pull ups. I feel ugly when I do pull ups. Work out faces are never pretty, at least not mine. It's like a mix of an ugly baby and an old lady. What...that's a thing.

Today was an off day for me. Not intentionally, but I have two alarm clocks on my clock. I set alarm two, which is for "sleep in" days, instead of alarm one, which is for "get your ass out of bed and to the gym" days. So, open gym in the morning it is. I'm sure Mike missed me tons today!

So tomorrow I'll make up today's WOD, and get my ass handed to me once again. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment