7.03.2013

#mindset

Yes, I titled my blog with a hashtag, hate all you want. I quite enjoy hashtags, and conversations that include hashtags. Sometimes Thomas James Kelley and I play games to see how long we can carry on a conversation using only hashtags. I typically lose, but I think he cheats.
 
Moving on.
 
Mindset has always been a struggle for me. Whether it's my mindset at work, in the gym, with my family, or in relationships, my mindset always seems to hold me back. I tend to think of the reasons things won't work, instead of the reasons things could work. That's deep for the blog, isn't it? I have a point.
 
Sunday I was invited to go to church with a dear old friend of mine. He's been asking me to go for a while, and something told me this Sunday was the Sunday to do just that. The message delivered was about storms, and the Pastor had one phrase that has stuck with me. "If God keeps facing you with the same storm, you have to ask, are you learning the lesson he wants you to learn?"
 
Powerful.
 
Over the past few years, I feel that I keep getting hit with the same storm, so I asked myself, 'what have you learned'?
 
I tend to take things on all by myself. I don't talk about my personal life a whole lot, I tend to keep things to myself, as not to burden others with my problems. But here lately, I've found that sometimes saying things out loud makes them real. Once you can hear yourself say something out loud that you've said in your head a thousand times, it takes on a different meaning, it becomes powerful, it becomes real.
 
I'm getting there.
 
I've decided to alter my mindset. I've decided that positivity is the way to go. Complain less, chin up, smile on your face, and be thankful for what God has blessed you with. I have so much. I have my own house, my health, a great job, wonderful friends, a supportive sister, a beautiful, healthy niece, and my God. I have more than most people could dream of having.
 
How does this affect crossfit?
 
In the gym I have this constant battle in my head. My brain always tells my body "you can't", "it's too hard", "you've done enough, you can stop now". Well, out with that. This past week, the dialogue in my head has been, "this pain is temporary, push", "you know you have one more rep", "it's only six minutes", and "sore today, strong tomorrow".
 
That makes a HUGE difference. Who knew positive inner dialogue partnered with the great motivation received at the gym could make such a difference? You know what this reminds me of? Coach Paul. Coach Paul always use to tell us to have a positive outlook, to get rid of the "can't" and focus on doing the work.
 
Now, this post has been deep. So, if it makes you feel better, this week I also sound like a 50 year old smoker. My voice has been rough and smoker-like since about Saturday, and I think the plane travel had everything to do with it. After all, planes are just big germ tanks. So, my smoker voice, paired with this scritchy throat, yes, scritchy, have been fun this week.
 
I have also slept better this week than in months past. Part of that is the workouts, yes, the other part are the prayers I say at night. God is working in my life right now.
 
So, about Crossfit Brave. Coach Mikey D (I'm still trying out names), has been very supportive. He always has a positive word, and is always very motivational. I have had the pleasure of working out with Nadia, also. She is incredible. She's quietly fierce, but an incredible motivator also. This gym has been a pleasant surprise. I feel more comfortable than I expected. It's always hard starting new, going somewhere unfamiliar, but to be welcomed so warmly has made it easier to make the transition.
 
Well...I've typed my fingers numb (and that's not just from all the overhead squats this morning), and I'm pretty sure I should be working, so I'll leave it at that, for now.
 
Lemon, out.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment