8.13.2012

call me auntie b...

That's right people...I'm an aunt.  My sister and Joshua officially made me an aunt Thursday, August 9th, at 0925.  She weighed 6 lbs 14 oz, and is the most beautiful tiny human I've ever seen.  She's perfect. 

Having said that...today was my first day back since last Friday, like before she was born, like August 3rd.  Yea...............

So anyway...I could tell you why I took last week off...or I could just say I took last week off.  So......I took last week off.

We recently changed our programming for Crossfit Zeal.  I've seen every one's posts about how much they love the new programming, and one day in, I have no opinion.  I haven't been able to form one.  Well, I could, but starting off new programming with wall ball would make me review it negatively, and I feel as though I should give it a second chance. 

It was automatically difficult to get up this morning.  Between last Wednesday and Thursday nights, I got a total of eight hours sleep.  Not that that affects this morning, but I thought you should know.  You know...get the sympathy vote.  Any takers?  No?  Fine.

So this was the plan today...

A. 1RM Deadlift

B. 3 RFT
               25 wall ball
               20 toes to bar

C. 3 sets alternating
               ab mat back extensions 15-20
               reverse lunges 8-10 each leg

For the deadlift, I was excited to do this.  The last time I did deadlifts, we did the three singles at our old 3RM weight.  I was able to do the 168# I had previously done.  Today, my goal was just to beat that.  I have a trick when doing this.  My trick?  I just put the weight on the bar and try.  I don't count the weight, or I'll get intimidated.  So I just stack weight until I can't do it.

Today, that weight ended up being 183#. Um.......that's awesome. That's a 15# PR over my 3RM. I was very excited.

A very fun conversation came up during deadlift time about giving birth.  Seeing as how my sister had just had the baby, it was fitting.  I'm pretty sure Michael Kelley said the word "placenta" at least twelve times today.  We even talked about how some people eat it, or plant placenta trees.  Yea...let that one settle on you a little bit.

The truth behind it was that I failed at 183# twice before accomplishing the move.  I'm not sure what it was.  I didn't know how much it was, I just knew it was heavy.  Really heavy.  And once I did get it off the ground, it took for-ev-er to stand up straight.  It felt ugly.  MK says it looked ok...I'll take his word for it.  If he was even paying attention.  I don't think he was.  I'll have to remember to ask Kristin Kirby next time I see her.

Speaking of KK...she got a new PR herself today!  210#!!!  That's 10# more than her 3RM!  How awesome!

After deadlifts, it was on to part B.  Part B was not set out to welcome me back.  I felt slightly disappointed that my first day back included wall ball.  But then again, I think it was partially my punishment for missing a week.  I haven't done that in months, and I won't do it again.  Part B suuuuuuuuuuucked.

I used a 12# wall ball.  I knew I needed to be conservative.  I used to think it was a mental thing that kept me from being great at wall ball.  I think I now know it's a combination of 1. not being very coordinated, b. missing the target and having to no-rep, and 3. hating wall ball.  There, I said it, I hate wall ball.  I only feel slightly bad about it for two reasons.  1. KK hates wall ball, and b. I'm entitled to my opinion.

One thing that always keeps me going...encouragement.  It's fair to say that even while completing the WOD, people are constantly encouraging you to keep going and finish.  And then after they finish, they do it even more.  I honestly think this is why KK finishes so quickly, she's just excited to get done and yell at everyone else to keep going.  I'm onto you KK.

So part B was completed in 11.30.  That was rough.  I was the last one finished.  Wall ball kicks my ass.  I honestly think it's a combination of utter frustration at the misses and drops, and the fact that my body is just not good at it.  I might be able to get six in a row before I catch the ball wrong and have to re-set, or I just can't continue.  This is something I need to work on.

Onto part C.  This wasn't so bad, we just all looked utterly ridiculous flopping around on ab mats.  The floor felt pretty good though.  15# dumb bells were my choice, and a good choice at that.  My legs and ass were on fire at that point.  I do like the accessory work.  The focus on the little things that burnout at the end are actually enjoyable.  Michael Kelley has put together quite the program it seems. 

This blog post seems completely out of character for me.  I'm not my normal witty hilarious self.  Oh, who am I kidding...I'm still hilarious.

I was great to start my day off once again with my Crossfit family.  I have actually missed all those crazy zealots during my week off.  The days weren't quite as entertaining without them.  Lesson learned..


No comments:

Post a Comment